-->

Sunday, July 22, 2018

CHIASMS IN PSALMS

This post accompanies Gospel Doctrine lesson 25, "Let Every Thing That Hath Breath Praise the Lord".

Lesson 25 is about some Prophecies of Christ found in Psalms. The Scriptures also contain Types of Christ, which was the subject of my June 3 Post to this blog.

Robert Alden wrote three articles about the chiasms in Psalms. You can find them at Monergism, or read them on Google Drive: Psalms 1-50, Psalms 51-100, and Psalms 101-150.

I spent many hours trying to compile my own article with the chiasms in Psalms. One of my main sources made the headers to the Psalms verse 1, and then verse 1 became verse 2, and so on. I gave up trying to renumber all this material to match what's in the Bible. Another frustration was that some sources use the KJV text and some use text from one of the "modern" translations. All my compilations suffer from that problem.

A footnote on page 191 in Alden's second article explains that some translations of the Hebrew Bible consider the titles of the Psalms to be the first verses. Although that sounds like a good explanation, I looked at several Hebrew Bibles online, and none of them did that. It is often hard to find the "true facts" about anything.

"I testify that one cannot come to full faith in this latter-day work until he or she embraces the divinity of the Book of Mormon and the Lord Jesus Christ, of whom it testifies." Jeffrey R. Holland.

No comments:

Post a Comment